Varicose veins of the legs are a violation of blood outflow from the tissues due to vascular stenosis and functional failure of the venous valves. Stagnation of blood in the vessels leads to trophic changes, the formation of blood clots, deep ulcerative defects. The fight against varicose veins of the legs is under the supervision of a phlebologist, in part a vascular surgeon (vein specialist).
Various groups of drugs are used in the form of ointments, tablets for oral administration. The use of drugs is strictly in the system, as the chances of a successful cure for vein problems are higher. When using only ointments or exclusively tablets, the effect is incomplete.
What ointments or gels should be used to treat varicose veins in the legs and restore blood flow?
Main instructions for the treatment of diseases of the blood
The therapy for varicose veins of the legs is complex and aims to solve several problems:
- Elimination of the inflammatory process. The release of special mediators leads to an inflammatory process in the tissues. Hence the visual increase of the lower extremities, pain, discomfort and heaviness.
- Elimination of swelling. The venous-lymphatic outflow in the vessels is disturbed, the fluid accumulates locally.
- Restoration of adequate blood flow in the legs. It is achieved by stimulating the complete contraction of the blood vessels, activating the work of the venous valves.
- Relief of pain syndrome, severity with varicose veins of the legs, other discomfort.
- Normalization of the rheological properties of blood. Restoration of proper fluidity of fluid connective tissue. The thinning of the blood should not be excessive.
The use of ointments, creams allows to achieve results locally. Local infractions are eliminated. Selectivity, however, does not allow us to fight the root cause of the condition. This treatment is incomplete. Ultimately, therapy comes down to restoring lower extremity functional activity and preventing complications.
Groups of ointments and gels for varicose veins of the legs
The selection of pharmaceutical types of drugs is carried out according to the instructions above.
Elimination of the inflammatory process
It is carried out using two groups of drugs: anti-inflammatory drugs of non-steroidal origin, as well as steroids of general action.
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (or NSAIDs) are mainly used.
There is no fundamental difference between them. These are ointments against the inflammatory component of varicose veins of the legs with a narrow spectrum of action. Apply 1-3 times a day, depending on the severity of the process, with light circular movements. More intensive use is unacceptable for treatment purposes, as the active ingredients will begin to be absorbed into the bloodstream through large vessels.
Also, do not use ointments based on anti-inflammatory substances in the presence of trophic ulcers. Open wounds do not allow the use of ointments against varicose veins of the legs. After epithelialization (healing), you can resort to its use.
The effect of NSAIDs is based on the ability to reduce the sensitivity of receptors to the effects of inflammatory mediators. Pain, discomfort and heaviness are eliminated.
Steroids are used as a last resort. Only if NSAIDs are ineffective. Inflammation and pain are stopped and local tissue nutrition is improved. It is not used in large quantities, due to the possibility of causing widespread side effects.
Elimination of swelling
Corticosteroid medications are used to treat edema. Complex agents with anti-inflammatory, venotonic and healing effects are also prescribed.
Restoration of normal blood flow in legs with varicose veins
Ointments and gels with phlebotonic (venotonic) action are shown. The action of such drugs is based on the ability to stimulate the contraction of the vascular walls, the work of the venous valves.
Some agents are stronger than others, due to the higher concentration of the active ingredient. It is better to trust the doctor in the matter of choice, he will select an ointment based on the "abandonment" of the condition.
Application course. You should not expect a quick result, it is achieved after a few weeks. The manufacturers themselves point out the need for complex use, along with tablet drugs. The duration of a therapeutic course is 25-30 days, then a break and a new course. The frequency is not limited, it is determined by the severity of the general condition. The process started requires the almost continuous use of ointments against varicose veins of the legs.
Elimination of pain syndrome
Discomfort, pain is eliminated with the help of local painkillers. These are complex remedies for the simultaneous fight against pain and inflammation. There are few pure pain relievers in ointment or cream on the pharmaceutical market.
The scope of application of these ointments, gels and creams is wide and is not limited to varicose veins of the legs. They are applied according to the instructions, up to 3 times a day for 7-12 days, then a break is required. The appointment of pain relievers alone is not practical. They stop the symptoms, fight the consequences when the cause is not affected.
Normalization of the rheological properties of blood
Assumes the appointment of venotonics, as well as anticoagulants. However, these funds are used with caution, since it is possible to increase the permeability of blood vessels, develop their fragility, and as a result, local bleeding, bruising, aggravation of varicose veins of the legs.
Complex ointments for varicose veins of the legs
These drugs have a systemic effect. They solve several problems at the same time. In the case of early treatment of varicose veins of the legs, this is especially convenient: it is not necessary to buy dozens of ointments, apply them for hours. The most suitable drug will be selected by a specialist.
Basic principles of therapy
How to correctly apply ointments and gels for varicose veins of the legs to achieve the maximum effect in a short time?
- Do not prescribe treatment yourself. It is necessary to take into account the mass of shades. If you have varicose veins in your legs, you should contact a phlebologist, surgeon, or vascular surgeon.
- Strictly follow your doctor's instructions and advice. When an insufficient dose is prescribed, the therapeutic effect will not occur. An excess of ointment will lead to the penetration of active components into the blood, side effects will occur. The beneficial effect will no longer be.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the ointments. In the absence of improvement, see a doctor again to review the course. The approximate period after which it is possible to judge the appropriateness of the treatment is 7-10 days.
- If you experience side effects, including drug intolerance, please request a review of the therapeutic course.
- Pain may indicate blood clots. To exclude the process, you need to contact a specialist again.
Ointments, gels, creams for varicose veins of the legs are prescribed in combination with drugs in the form of tablets. Combinations of the same ointments are possible. For monotherapy, many of the names on the market are not suitable. To achieve a quality treatment effect, it is recommended to consult a doctor.